Tue. Mar 26th, 2024

Kingston men’s hockey team show massive improvement against BUCS league leader

By Melina Pambou Sundfor Feb 1, 2018
Kingston men's hockey team battled hard against league leader Surrey. Photo: Melina Pambou Sundfør

Kingston University’s men’s hockey team came close to beating their rivals Surrey but two goals were not enough in the 2-3 defeat on January 31.

The last time the teams met, Kingston lost 9-2, but yesterday’s team had more to show and gave Surrey a tough match to the end.

Kingston’s captain, Tom Banner, said: “I’m proud of the boys and massively happy about the improvement. I think we have come a long way.”

The up and coming England hockey player and Kingston’s man of the match, Will Calnan, ensured a close match scoring both of Kingston’s goals.

Calnan said: “It was one of the better performances as a team I have been involved with at Kingston. Everyone played really well.”

The first half was uneventful, with Kingston dominating most of the half with three good chances, all saved by Surrey’s goalkeeper.

The first goal did not come until the 46th minute in the second half. Despite Kingston’s pressure, Surrey took the lead after Freddie Knott made a shot which deflected off Kingston’s goalkeeper, Georgi Todorov, and into the goal.

One minute after the first goal, Surrey’s John Kimberly found himself alone with Kingston’s Todorov and confidently put the ball in the back of the net.

After a quick 2-0 lead to Surrey, Calnan switched position to midfielder and took it upon himself to create Kingston’s first goal. In the 54th minute Calnan dribbled past the Surrey defence and put the ball in the far corner.

A short corner lead to Surrey’s third goal in the 60th minute, when Elliot Steedman set up for teammate Egor Howell, who managed to win the ball in the scramble and put it past Kingston’s defence and Todorov.

Only one minute later Kingston replied with yet another goal from Calnan who put the ball in the left corner after dribbling past the Surrey defence down the right-hand side.

In the heat of the match Kingston’s Dan Wadsworth got the ball smashed into his face which caused him to leave the pitch with a fractured cheekbone. The incident happened after a save from Surrey’s goalkeeper.

Despite an impressive effort, the Kingston men left the pitch with yet another defeat and are still in last place, with one point, in the BUCS league.

The next game is against Reading on February 7 and the Kingston captain is positive and hoping for a win.

“It is a big game but I think we will play well. Hopefully we will get a win,” said Banner.

Related Post