Sat. May 25th, 2024

Kingston firsts defeated in final league match

By River Reporter Mar 13, 2013

KU men’s football team lose last game of the season but stay in the division. 

Ryan Rocastle

Kingston’s first football team could not finish the league season on a high and were deservedly beaten 4-2 by Brunel’s seconds at Tolworth court. 

The game was ultimately a dead rubber as both teams were guaranteed to play in division 3A next season. 

Captain Dan Rich said: “The game basically meant nothing so not everyone was up for it but we still wanted to win. All in all we came up last season and got smashed by Brunel first game this year, so to stay up we’ve done well.” 

Dream start 

Kingston got off to a dream start, scoring inside the first 30 seconds. Left midfielder Knut Vold got down the wing and crossed for Yaniek Monrose, who finished neatly. 

However the lead was short lived when in the 12th minute Rich, playing in his final game for the university, was penalised for a handball in the box. The Brunel forward comfortably dispatched the penalty.

The game was stopped for a few minutes as Rich got a nasty blow to his head and had to go off with blood dropping from his eye, but he shortly returned. 

This seemed to distract Kingston and a few minutes later a defence splitting pass from a Brunel midfielder fell into the path of their striker who comfortably gave Brunel the lead.

Neither team could create anything meaningful for the rest of the half with Monrose having the Cougars’ best chance after a good ball from Charlie Marshall. 

Cougars’ sub 

Just after the break Kingston started well and Leon Schwier showed good feet to work an opening, but failed to test the keeper. 

The Cougars made a change taking off Knut Vold and bringing on Tang Van Ngujen. The sub had an immediate impact, firing in a great shot minutes after coming on to make the scores level.  

However this seemed to spark Brunel into life and they scored two quick goals, which completely changed the swing of the match. 

The visitors went on to dominate the final twenty minutes and if it were not for keeper Kieran Sanderson they would have won by more. 

Looking ahead to Varsity 

Right Back Lorcan Reen was quick to put the defeat behind him and look forward to next week’s big Varsity match against Surrey. 

Reen said: “I’ve just transferred from another university and they didn’t have a Varsity so I’m going to be experiencing it for the first time and I’ve heard it’s quite a fierce rivalry so I’m really looking forward to it.” 

Related Post