Wed. Feb 28th, 2024

Kingston lacrosse men’s team gain first ever point

By Nov 29, 2012

Kingston’s lacrosse team suffer late goal but are jubilant after gaining their first ever point.

Matt Wilson

Kingston’s lacrosse team captain Joe Nicholson is delighted with the team’s first ever point and their best performance.

The men’s team drew 3-3 after coming back from 2-0 down to get a point against Portsmouth firsts who remain bottom of the table.

Nicholson said: “That was our best performance all season considering we’ve only been playing for five months.”

Almost perfect start for opposing team

Portsmouth almost got off to the perfect start when forward Chris Stevens hit the post after just 10 seconds.

In the second quarter Stevens’s pace caused Kingston problems. He put Portsmouth 1-0 up before Ash Meyrick made it 2-0.

Kingston started the third quarter well, Armandos Karydakis missing a one-on-one chance and Sam Bourgein bringing an excellent save from the Portsmouth keeper.

Portsmouth ended the half strongly with several good chances and looked set to record their first win of the season.

Kingston make up for slow start

Kingston burst into another gear in the final quarter and after four minutes Karydakis scored after a clever pass from Dan Farrier.

Stevens almost restored Portsmouth’s two goal advantage after a quick run took him past three players but he put his shot wide.

Luke Argent equalised just a minute later for Kingston and when Karydakis scored his second of the match Kingston looked set to win the match.

Tom Behray spoiled the party for Kingston though, as he scored the final goal of the game to make it 3-3 with just three minutes to go.

Boosted spirits

Captain Nicholson was not disheartened with the result.

He said the result was not a disappointment despite coming close to getting three points.

He said: “We’ve boosted our spirits, we just went for it.”

Portsmouth were also happy to get a point after looking in control after the first three quarters.

Goal-scorer Stevens said: “It was a good game all round. We could have held it more in attack.
“We’ve never played Kingston before so they were a bit of an enigma.”

Kingston’s next match will be againt University of Kent’s first team on December 5. Time and location to be announced.

+ posts


Related Post