Commander Peter Spindler, head of specialist crime investigation, said: “We expect the highest standard of conduct from our officers, particularly within the Sapphire command with its clear focus on victim care. Coleman-Farrow fell well below those standards and has today been forced to take full responsibility for his actions.
“We are truly sorry for the distress his actions have caused. His dismissal and subsequent jail sentence should send a clear message to both the public and colleagues that neither the police service nor the courts will tolerate such serious professional failings.”
The offences he failed to investigate were committed between 2007 and 2010. His management identified irregularities in his work in September 2010 and Coleman-Farrow was suspended from duty shortly after.
In April last year he was dismissed from the Metropolitan Police.
“The Met is a learning organisation and we know there is always more that can be done to support victims of rape and other serious sexual assault. With that in mind, we are currently in the process of changing the structure of the Sapphire command to ensure even closer supervision,” Commander Spindler said.
Coleman-Farrow was sentenced at Southwark Crown Court on October 29 to 16 months imprisonment. On September 13 he pleaded guilty to 13 counts of misconduct in public office.
An official statement from the Met from the day of the sentencing said: “The Metropolitan Police Service welcomes today’s sentence, which reflects the appalling nature of Coleman-Farrow’s misconduct and the extent to which he failed those who put every faith in him.”