Thu. May 30th, 2024

Kingston men’s football team thrash St Mary’s

By River Reporter Nov 22, 2012

Marc Williams

Matt Hammett put in a man-of-the-match performance as Kingston’s football first team cruised to a 5-0 victory over St Mary’s’ thirds.

The Kingston winger netted twice to help light up a gloomy day at Tolworth Court in a superb second-half performance from the home side.

Kingston goalscorer, Leon Schwier, said: “We are really pleased with this result, especially in the truly disgusting conditions today. We battled hard throughout the game to get this victory and in the end we could have won by seven or eight.”

Even stevens

The first half saw both teams share possession, but chances were wasted in front of goal. Despite good work from Yanick Monroe and Terry Mireku down Kingston’s left-hand side, the home team could not break the deadlock.

St Mary’s went into the half-time break in good spirits after Oliver Blackman’s powerful header clipped the bar.

Kingston ‘keeper Kieran Sanderson also pulled off a number of fine saves in a tense first 45 minutes.

Schwier added: “The first half had such bad conditions, it was so windy, but we just needed to stay compact, keep it tight and not concede. We then went all out attack in the second half and scored some really good goals and got a great victory.”

Second half drama

The second half saw a change in momentum and Kingston came out of the traps fast.

Only five minutes into the second period Hammett grabbed his first goal of the game. The right-winger drove forward and with the St Mary’s defender backing off, he curled a fine finish into the bottom left corner.

An unlucky Monroe was subbed off on the hour mark and replaced by Tang Van Ngujen, who made an immediate impact. A dreadful short goal-kick from the St Mary’s ‘keeper fell to the substitute who was then brought down for a stonewall penalty.

Van Ngujen picked himself up to take the spot kick but hit the bar. Luckily Schwier was on hand for the tap in.

Van Ngujen did not have to wait long to get on the score sheet though. After another calamitous clearance from the St Mary’s goalkeeper hit the onrushing striker, the ball trickled over the line for Kingston’s third of the half.

Tolworth a fortress

Injured first-team captain Danny Rich said: “We won 3-0 in our last league game.  Two wins on the bounce.  We have Portsmouth in two weeks’ time so we need some momentum.  We need to keep Tolworth as a fortress for the rest of the season.”

By this point the home side were in complete control and began stringing together some effective moves.

Schwier set up Jordan Gibbens for a simple finish into the roof of the net.

The impressive Hammett then finished off the rout. This time coming in from the left wing, Hammett let fly and compounded the woes for the away side’s ‘keeper with the shot squirming through his legs.

Kingston hope to continue their good form when they play Portsmouth University in two weeks’ time.

Related Post