Every Friday, RiverOnline brings you some of the simplest, healthiest and most student-friendly recipes to try out. Have a recipe to share with your fellow students? Get in touch with us at email@example.com!
Spring is coming and a healthy and light dinner is the best option for those watching their figures. Or maybe you’re looking to prepare vegetables apart from the usual salad?
Here is a quick and mouthwatering recipe for aubergine rolls.
You will need:
- 1 aubergine
- 2 slices of feta or blue cheese
- A few dates soaked in water
- A pinch of pepper
- Dried basil
- Olive oil
- Cut the aubergine lengthways into 4-5mm thick slices. Rub salt on the aubergine slices and leave them in a sieve in the sink. Salt helps to get rid of the bitter taste.
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6.
- Mix the feta/blue cheese in a bowl with the dates, dried basil and pepper.
- Wash the aubergine slices with water. Brush both sides of each slice with olive oil. Put all of them in a wide dish and place the dish in the oven for 10 minutes (or until the aubergine slices start to turn light brown).
- Take out the aubergine and let it cool.
- Put a spoon of cheese and dates on each aubergine slice.
- Wrap the aubergine slice around the cheese and dates to make a roll. You can secure each end of a roll with a toothpick so that the stuffing doesn’t fall out.
- Place the rolls into an ovenproof dish and bake for 10-15 minutes (until the cheese starts to melt).
You can serve the aubergine rolls with green salad or use it as a salad option with steak.