Fri. Apr 26th, 2024

Kingston destroy league leaders St Mary’s 7-0

By River Reporter Nov 30, 2011

Kingston 1st        7

St Mary’s 4th       0

By Lars Thomesen

Kingston’s first team had a smashing day at Tolworth in a game that was all but over after 15 minutes.

Two early headers from centre half Sam Gordon, skilfully whipped in from corners by Terry Mireku, put Kingston two up before the game had settled.

Mireku added another two in the first half himself and Kingston never looked back.

Instead of sitting on their lead Kingston went for more goals in the second half. Coach Andy Stanford also got what he wanted –a clean sheet — alongside a seven-goal score line.

In-form Mireku

Left winger Mireku was on fire all game and arguably the man of the match.

The first of his goals was down to brilliant chasing by striker Kofi Wiredu when the ball was played through the St Mary defence. The keeper came out to pick it up but Wiredu’s determination made sure the goalkeeper fumbled the ball and a simple pass to Mireku in front of an open goal made it 3-0.

Kingston’s fourth was a clever move. A free kick on the right was passed down the line to right back Danny Rich who crossed it to the near post Mireku put it away for his second.

The second half started with a triple chance for St Mary’s, but Kingston showed no mercy and kept the clean sheet. Keeper Kieran Sanderson made a brilliant save which led to a corner and after several attempts the visitors realised it was not their day.

Kingston’s fifth goal was a beauty, with right winger Leon Schwier as the main man. A brilliant solo run was passed off to striker Kofi Wiredu, who just as nicely back-heeled it through to Schwier who had continued his run. The one-two put Schwier through on the keeper and he made no mistake.

Chendlik shows skills

Although the tempo of the game died down a bit after the fifth goal, Kingston’s strikers also wanted to get their names on the score sheet. Gareth Chendlik, who had been unlucky on a couple of occasions, finally got his reward.

A long pass was controlled with a fantastic first touch, and then Chendlik turned, getting a yard on the defender. From there it was all magic. From 12 yards, he curled the ball into the far top corner.

Chendlik was not done there. He had two goals disallowed. Then Mireku ran free on the left and crossed the ball with pace along the six yard box. Schwier was ready to get his second goal when the ball came towards him, but as a striker, Chendlik pounced first and sealed his second instead.

Kingston had complete control of the game from kick off until the final whistle. Although the visitors were not at their best Kingston deserved every goal they got, making up for their slip-up against Royal Holloway last week.

Related Post